God's Ponzi by Robert Buschel

 

Release date: March 3, 2022
Subgenre: Financial Thriller, Revenge Thriller
 

About God's Ponzi

 

 Gregory Portent demands revenge.

Revenge is best served cold and when the prey begs to be the target. With his skills and charisma he lures them in easy-using an investment bank to launch a Ponzi scheme. Gregory Portent has one advantage-artificial intelligence.

At a critical point, he loses his way. A 'black swan' event follows and the Ponzi scheme borders on the brink of collapse. It's not about revenge anymore; it's about survival. Greedy lawyers, the FBI, and international syndicates pursue him. Greg must go on the run. Everyone he cares about is now in danger. He must win. The strange thing? You'll be rooting for him the whole time. Will he win big and get his vengeance?

Robert Buschel proves beyond a reasonable doubt, he is a rising storyteller. Pick up God's Ponzi and unlock the secret behind the world's most diabolical Ponzi scheme.


Excerpt:

 

Riding in this van down the highways of America, I realize I haven’t had a good night’s sleep in years. In my mind’s eye, I see the body of our enemy dangling from a rope or rotting in prison. Thinking about every chess move that can be played and how we could counterattack. If we took a flash-photo of the situation, it looks like I stole a shit ton of money in my own investment bank while running a Ponzi scheme.                                               

To rework a remark attributed to bank robber, Willie Sutton: Why start a bank? It’s where the money is. Banks are magical - not many people understand banks. But some people love money – the more the better. Banks have the power to lend and the power to repossess money and assets. A bank can lend ninety-percent of its capital as long as there is a ten-percent reserve. What if people want their money back at the same time? It’s called a “run on the bank.” The bank goes under, it implodes. It implodes just like a Ponzi scheme that runs out of fresh investor funds.                                               

There is no getting around the criminal, civil, and bankruptcy litigation that will ensue if I’m caught in the crosshairs. A plea or trial is not a viable option since my goal is not to spend the rest of my life in prison. Or, some less ethical people could just have me killed. Everyone understands this. What’s the point of all this calculus? To remind you I can’t get caught. Sure, suicide has crossed my mind. But, I’m perfectly healthy and I believe in the sanctity of life. Dying would be surrender – a loss, as in not a win. As careful as I was to prevent innocents from getting caught up in my scheme, getting caught now would hurt many of them. The purpose of the scheme was not motivated by money or greed; but for revenge, through means of proving one major point – lawyers aren’t heroes.                                     

Boiled down to its essence, I’m still playing because I can still win. I can still get out of this alive. I need forty-two million dollars by the end of the week. Once I make the money, ironically I won’t need it. I just need to prove that I have forty-two million. Or, “always had it.” I can’t manufacture bank records that show the bank is well capitalized either because the bank is past due on a payout to existing investors. And unless you know someone that’s willing to let me have forty-two million dollars with no interest, to keep a bank afloat that can go under the next day, I really need to produce a fresh forty-two million.                            

I’m going through the options. One must consider all options carefully; obtain the most information possible before choosing. Pick the best response based upon what others are likely to do. The key is to get perfect information. Once I have the information, I analyze the likely outcomes and select based on the best of the best possible outcomes. In a nutshell, this is what’s called, “game theory.” It’s hard to explain to idiots and hostile lawyers that game theory is serious. In game theory, everyone is a participant, but only the shrewdest are players. It doesn’t mean that I think we’re “playing a game,” that is to say I’m taking the situation lightly. God forbid you tell a lawyer on a mission for money that he’s an irrational game player based upon known information and witness the reaction.                        

In essence, we always should study strategic decision making. The key to this game is understanding the desired outcome. The game itself seems like I have the typical objective – money; but money is not my objective. Between the object and my goal, is the squeeze. Even though game theory is a study of mathematical models of conflict and cooperation, we cannot assume our adversaries are rational game players. My strategy is to appear as the irrational game player. But I’m an evil game player. They are greedy, so they assume I’m greedy. If they commit to that assumption, they can still lose miserably.                                

We developed the one major secret weapon, cutting-edge artificial intelligence – the AI; that is, true AI – a self-learning machine. AI that can gather data and analyze the meaning of the data better than any software service produced to date. It’s a step ahead – whole-life management. Not just managing my life, it suggests how I should live my life in order to achieve my goals set. So, I tasked it to help me run the world’s largest Ponzi scheme. The AI analyzed the data and offered me a way to make the scheme to go supersonic. I was warned, I admit it. Financial groups, feeder funds, cartels, you name it, wanted their data to remain undetected and their money properly invested. We exploited it. The team provided the proof that this could be done. Then the numbers spun out of control.                                   

The Ponzi scheme, like most that invest in the markets, caught the proverbial black swan – that bad hand of cards. If I can’t fix this black swan, bad hand, or bolt of lightning in the next few days, I could end up dead and I’ll be leaving behind the lives left in shambles of the people I care about.                    


Amazon


About Robert Buschel:

 
Robert Buschel has a storied career as a trial lawyer. His cases compel him to dive deep into politics, medicine, and computer science. Although Robert writes to live, not to re-live, he filters and refines the stories of the world around him for a never-ending supply of fresh tales for his readers to enjoy.
 

Comments