Murder at the Galvez [A Sydney Lockhart Mystery] By Kathleen Kaska

 


Publication date: September 25, 2021

About Murder at the Galvez:

Eighteen years after discovering the murdered body of her grandfather in the foyer of the historic Galvez Hotel, reporter Sydney Lockhart returns to Galveston, Texas to cover a story. Instead, she finds herself embroiled in a murder mystery.
Something fishy is going on in Galveston, Texas, and Sydney is smack dab in the middle of it when she checks into the historic Galvez Hotel, a place that stirs her most uncomfortable memories. 

She’s there to cover the controversial Pelican Island Development Project conference, but soon after her arrival, the conference is canceled, the keynote speaker is missing, and a body turns up in the truck of Sydney’s car. Next, Sydney’s hauled to the police station for questioning.
 
As if this wasn’t bad enough, just a few blocks from the hotel at her parents’ home, people are gathering, sparks are flying, another controversial event is in the planning, one that just might rival the Great Storm of 1900.

Sydney is helped and obstructed by her cousins, Ruth and Marcela, and Dixon, her beloved partner-in-solving-crime. But ultimately it’s up to Sydney, armed with wit and bravado (and Dixon’s .45), who must discover who killed the man in the trunk and why her father’s new friend is floating face-down in a fish tank with a bullet in his head. Her father’s odd behavior and the anonymous threatening notes delivered to her hotel room lead Sydney to suspect that her grandfather’s unsolved murder and the present murders might be connected.
 
A sassy Who-Done-It with an enthralling cast of characters. 

Very Own Pandora’s Box
By Kathleen Kaska 

            I start my mornings by entering another world. A world where Gene Kelly taps his way through a rainstorm; England’s Elizabeth II ogles her new crown; Ike campaigns for President; the A-bomb is born, and Mr. Potato Head is on every child’s Christmas list. This is also a world where Sydney Jean Lockhart, who’s single, and a career woman, has blossomed at twenty-nine. You don’t know Sydney? Let me introduce her.

            Sydney is a tall redheaded reporter from Austin, Texas with a sassy mouth. She has a wealthy, four-foot-eleven, dumb blonde for a cousin (Ruth Echland), and a sexy detective (Ralph Dixon) for a boyfriend. The three of them make up a harum-scarum team.

            Sydney moved in with me about ten years ago and, since that time, has taken over much of my life. We’ve had many a heated discussions about what’s her time and what’s mine. Boundaries mean nothing to her. For a while, my husband was the only one who knew about Sydney. He couldn’t see her but was aware when she was around because of the fog that seemed to engulf me. Sydney began as a figment of my imagination. No, I am not schizophrenic. I’m a mystery writer, and Sydney is my protagonist. Creating her was like opening a Pandora’s Box.

            Since then, she’s solved four murders at the Arlington Hotel in Hot Springs, Arkansas, and three more at the Luther Hotel in Palacios, Texas. Now she’s in Galveston at the historic Galvez Hotel, trying to find out who murdered her grandfather eighteen years earlier.

            Despite her bossy ways and propensity for not listening to me, I like the gal. We have a lot in common: a preference for gin martinis, a fetish for shoes, and an eye for red flashy sports cars.

            I love tossing obstacles in Sydney’s path one minute and saving her butt the next. She doesn’t seem to mind the roller-coaster life I’ve created for her. Her only problem is she wants to be the center of attention and hates being put back in the box at the end of the day. So, in the middle of the night, I often hear her pounding to be let out. Sometimes I open the box, and sometimes I don’t. Either way, she’s always there in the morning, tapping her foot and giving me the evil eye.

Here’s an excerpt from the new edition of Murder at the Galvez published by Anamara Press:

I woke to a sun well up and already into the business of warming the day, and to Ruth well into a late-morning dream. The phone rang and I snatched up the receiver and pulled the phone into the bathroom to keep from waking her. It was Marcella calling to report. Although she hadn’t been successful getting Dad to talk, she did manage to get him released on bail. I told her I’d be over later, and then I dressed quietly and left. I grabbed a cup of coffee and decided to pay the slippery Mr. Fallow another visit. To keep Mr. Fallow from noticing my car and scurrying out the back door, I parked a couple of blocks away.

The open sign was still there, but the place was deserted. I took the opportunity to snoop around. The shop was crowded with more than a dozen concrete tanks with hoses trailing out in all directions. I peered into one and was surprised to see it empty of any fish life—just dank water with a fine layer of algae growing up the side. I looked in the next one, empty too, and so was a third. The fourth housed a few sad-looking minnows. Maybe there had been a recent surge in demand for bait, but I doubted it. I stepped to the back of the shop and opened an icebox. Inside were four containers of night crawlers. Brewster Fallow was not getting rich selling bait, that was for sure.

I checked out the counter and saw that he’d returned after Marcella and I had left. A half-eaten bologna sandwich sat on a chipped plate next to a cup of coffee. I felt the cup. It was warm. I poked the sandwich. The bread was soft. Whatever had distracted Fallow from his lunch had happened only a short time ago. The cash register drawer was half-open. I counted four dollars and some change. Then I heard the back door squeak open and then close.

“Mr. Fallow?” I called. “Brewster?” I walked to the rear of the shop and pushed open the screen door. An old Ford was parked in the driveway. “Anyone here?” I called. No answer, so I went back inside to wait. Maybe he had to run a quick errand, or maybe, as Marcella had said, I had spooked him again. I continued my inspection of the tanks, and when I peered into the last one, I knew for certain that waiting for Fallow to return was a waste of time. I hurried out the door and into my car, and I was out of the neighborhood in a flash. I was sure that Brewster Fallow didn’t accidentally stumble into his own fish tank and drown, judging by the bloody water and hole in his skull. I was also certain that whoever had left through the back door was the killer. 

I drove to the Pleasure Pier and parked on the seawall. The seagulls were out in number and squawking their eerie sound, a sound I enjoyed more than any other. For me, it was a mixture of innocent pleasure along with a bit of melancholy thrown in at the last second. When I was little, I often thought the gulls were calling me to join them for a flight over the beach, only to feel sad when I didn’t sprout wings and take flight. That’s what I felt like doing now—catching the vortex of a whooping-crane flock and migrating to Canada. Only it was two months too early for the birds’ flight north. The cranes weren’t going anywhere, and, unfortunately, neither was I.

The stench of dead bait from Fallow’s bait shop still lingered in my nasal passages. I walked out onto the pier, inhaled the salt air, and listened to the gulls and the sound of my heels tapping on the wooden planks, hoping my racing heart would not explode from my chest.

Except for a few fishermen, the place was uncomfortably quiet. The fog had become heavy, wrapping me in a blanket of light mist. I could no longer see the end of the pier, and all of a sudden, I felt too vulnerable for my own good. Even the seagulls had stopped calling, or maybe they’d left to find a better stretch of beach.

I pulled my jacket around me, leaned against the rail, and tried to fit this new puzzle piece into the insane events that now dominated my life. Whoever killed Fallow must have done so only minutes before I arrived and had been in the back of the shop when I walked in. I’m lucky he didn’t kill me too. When I fled the shop, I’d intended to drive straight to the police station and find Fidalgo, but I couldn’t steer my car in that direction. Being connected to one dead body was enough. However, if I didn’t report the murder, Fallow could lie in that fish tank for days before anyone found him. I was certain the man who’d killed Roland was probably the same guy who’d plugged Fallow. Delaying the report would only make the situation worse for everyone, especially Dad.

I lingered a bit longer, rehearsing in my mind what I would tell Fidalgo. The wind picked up, creaking the old pier. Someone coughed. In the distance, I heard footsteps. I turned, but couldn’t see a damn thing through the fog. I was not the kind of person who had premonitions—that was Ruth’s department—but at that moment, I felt as if something was wrong, very wrong. I listened for the clang of bait buckets and fishing gear to go with the footsteps, but whoever was strolling in the fog was not there to cast a line. Then the footsteps stopped, and for a moment, all I heard was the slow, gentle wash of the waves. They seemed to crest and hang for a moment before falling as if they weren’t sure they wanted to be here, either. Someone could easily walk up, toss me over the rail, and no one would ever know until my body washed up on the beach. The footsteps sounded again. This time I distinctly heard two different footfalls, one near and one in the distance.

I usually think of myself as a relatively intelligent person, but at the moment, I felt void of all mental prowess. I’d given the killer a perfect opportunity to do me in. He’d probably followed me from Fallow’s shop.

I slipped off my shoes and crept back toward the seawall. The footsteps in the distance picked up the pace. Then I heard an unmistakable sound from the person closest to me. It was the click of a gun’s safety release. I froze. The shot split inches from my head. Another shot rang out, this one from a different gun. The guy nearest to me turned and ran. A scuffle ensued, and for a moment, I considered jumping over the pier rail, but I wasn’t sure if I was over water or sand.

Suddenly someone grabbed my arm.

“Don’t scream. Keeping walking and don’t say a word.” We walked together in silence until we reached the seawall. The headlights of the cars driving down Seawall Boulevard illuminated the street, causing the mist to turn yellow like sparklers dancing throughout the air. He opened the car door and pushed me in and then came around to the driver’s side. Once both doors were locked, he grabbed me and pulled me over.

“What the hell are you doing here?” My heart raced.

“Keeping you alive, what else?” Dixon kept me from any further bitching by planting his lips on mine.

Pick up a copy of Murder at the Galvez from Amazon 



Kathleen Kaska is the author of the awarding-winning mystery series: the Sydney Lockhart Mystery Series set in the 1950s and the Kate Caraway Animal-Rights Mystery Series. Her first two Lockhart mysteries, Murder at the Arlington and Murder at the Luther, were selected as bonus books for the Pulpwood Queen Book Group, the country’s largest book group. 

She also writes mystery trivia. The Sherlock Holmes Quiz Book was published by Rowman & Littlefield. Her Holmes short story, “The Adventure at Old Basingstoke,” appears in Sherlock Holmes of Baking Street, a Belanger Books anthology. She is the founder of The Dogs in the Nighttime, the Sherlock Holmes Society of Anacortes, Washington, a scion of The Baker Street Irregulars. Watch for Murder at the Driskill in November, 2021, and Murder at the Menger and Murder at the Pontchartrain in 2022.

www.kathleenkaska.com

Published by Anamcara Press

Comments