Crime Fiction Links of the Week for November 28, 2020
Crime fiction in general:
- Crime Reads shares ten new crime novels, mysteries and thrillers coming out this week.
- Crime Reads shares the best reviewed crime novels, mysteries and thrillers of November 2020.
- Crime Reads shares five true crime books to read this November.
- Halley Sutton explains how modern writers are reinvigorating classic noir tropes.
- Andrea J. Johnson talks about the intersection of cozy mysteries and legal thrillers.
- Catriona McPherson shares her favourite islands in crime fiction.
- Crime by the Book offers an overview of crime fiction from Iceland.
- Nicolas Lietzgau talks about dark romanticism and the gothic.
- Piper J. Drake reminds us that people of colour and other marginalised people in historical settings are historically accurate.
- Lish McBride talks about combatting book shame and reading outside your comfort zone.
- Larissa Irankunda shares bestselling novels which started as NaNoWriMo projects.
- Rhiannon Lucy Cosslett wonders why so many books won't name Donald Trump.
- Paul French shares ten international true crime podcasts to listen to.
- Mark Aldridge talks about his research about Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot.
- Sarah Weinman reports about the short tragic life of Linda Millar, daughter of crime fiction writers Margaret Millar and Kenneth Millar a.k.a. Ross MacDonald.
- Science fiction and mystery writer Hayford Peirce and his wife Wanda Zhang Peirce have died aged 78.
Best of 2020:
Film and TV:
- Danette Chavez declares that The Flight Attendant oscillates between thriller and comedy.
- Ellen E. Jones calls Jungleland a flimsy boxing drama.
- Rebecca Nicholson calls the documentary The Hijacker Who Vanished: The Mystery of D.B. Cooper a real life Twin Peaks.
- Ignatiy Vishnevetsky shares his thoughts on the action movie Vanguard and the historical fantasy movie Iron Mask.
- Zack Handlen shares his thoughts on the latest episode of Fargo.
- Gwen Ihnat shares her thoughts on the latest episode of Next.
- Mystery Tribune lists the twelve most critically acclaimed thrillers and crime movies available to stream.
- Dwyer Murphy shares international crime and thriller series available to stream.
- Katie Rife discusses five new true crime documentaries available on HBO.
- Gwen Ihnat revisits the 1948 noir movie Sorry, Wrong Number.
- Ignatiy Vishnevetsky revisits the 1974 thriller The Yakuza.
- Marin Edwards revisits the 2015 thriller A Patch of Fog.
- Peter Bradshaw shares his ten favourite movie villains.
- The Nitrate Diva wonders why dynamite metaphors are so common in noir cinema.
- Zach Vasquez takes a look at the influence of John Cassavetes on crime and noir cinema.
- The Nitrate Diva shares the three best noir movies starring Norman Lloyd.
- Rosanna Greenstreet interviews Jason Isaacs who played Jackson Brodie in Case Histories and Captain Gabriel Lorca in Star Trek Discovery.
- Stuart Heritage interviews Craig Fairbrass, star of Muscle and other action movies.
- Dwyer Murphy shares the twenty best fall jackets and coats in crime movies and TV shows.
- The Guardian shares a gallery of iconic film cars.
Comments on Big Sky:
Comments on The Undoing:
- Lucy Mangan calls The Undoing a perfect whodunnit that's gripping more than one nation.
- Lisa Weidenfeld shares her thoughts on the latest episode of The Undoing.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the latest episode of The Undoing.
- Morenna Ferrier reports that a controversy has broken out about a coat worn by Nicole Kidman in The Undoing.
- The winner of the Irish Independent Crime Fiction Book of the Year Award has been announced.
- The recipients of the 2021 MWA Grand Master and Raven Awards have been announced.
- The shortlist for the 2020 Petrona Award for the Best Scandinavian Crime Novel of the Year has been announced.
- The finalists for the 2020 Costa Book Awards have been announced.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Ann Langley explains that writing does not always come easily and how she came to terms with that fact.
- Kate McKean explains that it's perfectly normal to hate what you write.
- Gideon Marcus shares some questions to ask yourself whether you are ready for publishing.
- Belinda Pollard shares some tips for briefing beta readers.
- Anthony W. Eichenlaub discusses the pros and cons of independent publishing in 2020.
- Gideon Marcus talks about distribution for small presses and indie authors.
- Gideon Marcus shares some tips for setting up your own publishing company.
- Gideon Marcus declares that in order to market your books, you must first market yourself.
- Derek Murphy shares some blogging tips for authors.
- Patch O'Furr weighs in on Disney's failure to pay Alan Dean Foster and reminds people of Foster's importance to the furry community.
Flood reports that employees of Random House Canada are protesting
against plans of the company to publish a new book by controversial
professor Jordan Peterson.
- Jim Milliot reports that Bertelsmann, who already own Penguin Random House, will also buy Simon & Schuster from Viacom CBS.
- Jim Milliot reports that the Big Five (soon to be Big Four) publishers have reported big gains in the third quarter of 2020.
- Charlie Deitch reports that Allegheny County Jail in Pennsylvania limits inmates to only 214 selected e-books, mostly public domain classics, which may only be read on a tablet with high fees.
- Ali Karim reviews The Sentinel by Lee and Andrew Child.
- Hank Wagner reviews The Suicide House by Charlie Donlea.
- Sonja van der Westhuizen reviews One by One by Ruth Ware.
- Raven Crime Reads reviews Fallen Angels by Gunnar Staalesen.
- Raven Crime Reads reviews Play the Red Queen by Juris Jurjevics.
- Paul Burke reviews Scatter Her Ashes by Heine Bakkeid, translated by Anne Bruce.
- Publishers Weekly reviews Poetic Justice by Andrea J. Johnson.
- Ray Palen reviews Do Not Disturb by Claire Douglas.
- NB Magazine reviews The Lost and the Damned by Olivier Norek, translated by Nick Caistor.
- Publishers Weekly reviews Last Dance by Jeffrey Fleishman.
- Raven Crime Reads reviews Turncoat by Anthony J. Quinn.
- Andrew Hill reviews Hunter Killer by Brad Taylor.
- Sandra Mangan reviews Lethal Voyage by Kevin G. Chapman.
- Tony R. Cox reviews Fools Gold by Ian Patrick.
- Publishers Weekly reviews The March Fallen by Volker Kutscher, translated by Nial Sellar.
- Mystery Tribune reviews Murder in Old Bombay by Nev March.
- For Winter Nights reviews The Mitford Trial by Jessica Fellowes.
- Runalong the Shelves reviews Thirteen Storeys by Jonathan Sims
- Noelle Holton reviews Fifteen Coffins by Tony J. Forder.
- Jean Gazis reviews The Book of Lamps and Banners by Elizabeth Hand.
- Kirkus reviews Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz.
- Swiftly Tilting Planet reviews Hot to Trot by M.C. Beatong and R.W. Green.
- Lis Carey reviews A Murderous Tangle by Sally Goldenbaum.
- Lesa Holstine reviews Murder at the Bake Sale by Lee Hollis.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Gingerdead Man by Maya Corrigan and tries a recipe from the book.
- Kat Hooper reviews Dead Man in a Ditch by Luke Arnold.
- Runalong the Shelves reviews Dead Man in a Ditch by Luke Arnold.
- John Valeri reviews Murder She Wrote: Murder in Season by Jon Land and Jessica Fletcher.
- Crossexamining Crime revisits the 1938 Dr. Basil Willing mystery Dance of Death by Helen McCloy.
- Crossexamining Crime revisits the 1941 mystery Murder at Liberty Hall by Alan Clutton-Brock.
- Shaun Osborne revisits the 1951 mystery collection The Memoirs of Solar Pons by August Derleth.
- Martin Edwards revisits the 1972 mystery Cobweb by Pat Flower.
- Joe Kenney revisits the 1975 police procedural Rape Squad by Simon Wolf
- Steven Nester revisits the 1976 political thriller Crisscross by Harmon Henkin.
- B.V. Lawson revisits the 1977 Tessa Crichton mystery Scared to Death by Anne Morice a.k.a. Felicity Shaw.
- Judith Tarr revisits the 1981 children's adventure novel Ten Mile Treasure by Andre Norton.
- Joe Kenney revisits End Game, a 1993 novel in the Cybernarc science fiction men's adventure series by Robert Cain.
- Shaun Bythell asks what's the worst kind of book thief.
- Alvin Ward lists the twelve most haunted roads in America.
- Amanda Holpuch reports that a helicopter pilot has found a strange monolith in a remote part of Utah, while counting sheep.
Free online fiction:
- "Felon" by Garbiel Heller in Tough.
- "Short Timer" by David Tromblay in Shotgun Honey.
- "Pacific" by Dennis Trafoya in Shotgun Honey.
- "Neighbors" by K.A. Williams in Mystery Tribune.
- "Serious Business" by Brian Beatty in Mystery Tribune.
- "The Thanksgiving After" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch.
- "The Little Angel" by Billy Kring in Mystery People.
- "The Clown" by K.A. Laity in Punk Noir Magazine.
- "Easy Mark" by Rena J. Worley in The Five-Two.
- "Exclusive Preview" of Code of Silence by Phillip Jordan