Crime Fiction Links of the Week for May 30, 2020
Crime fiction in general:
- Rachel Howzell Hall, Lori Rader-Day and Alex Segura discuss diversity in crime fiction.
- Craig Robertson shares his top ten Scottish crime novels.
- "Jessica Fletcher" shares the books she's reading while self-isolating.
- Peter Carlaftes talks about noir fiction and isolation.
- Hannah Mary McKinnon shares some psychological thrillers about sibling rivalries.
- Tracy Clark shares eight crime novels featuring fictional divas.
- Lisa Braxton shares crime novels dealing with gentrification.
- Laird Barron recalls how growing up in Alaska influenced his noir fiction.
- Robert Deis revisits the men's adventure magazine Battle Cry.
- Mary Ann Grossmann profiles Naomi Kritzer.
Film and TV:
- Garrick Webster shares fifteen great crime dramas based on novels to watch right now.
- Eddie Strait shares twenty mystery TV shows to watch.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the latest episode of Hightown.
- Vikram Murthi shares his thoughts on the season finale of Run.
- Kayla Kumari Upadhyaya shares her thoughts on the latest episode of The Good Fight.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the heist movie Uncut Gems and praises the performance of Adam Sandler.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on Joker.
- Erik Morse rewatches Brian De Palma's 1980 suspense thriller Dressed to Kill, his favourite film aged 12.
- Martin Edwards rewatches the 1998 neo-noir movie Goodbye, Lover.
- Daniel Harris watches the 1975 shark movie Jaws for the very first time.
- S.L. Huang talks about martial arts and racial stereotypes.
- Simon Hattenstone interviews John Malkovich, star of Being John Malkovich, Con Air, Space Force and many others.
- Elle Hunt interviews Britt Ekland, best known for her role in the James Bond movie The Man with the Golden Gun.
- Simon Hattenstone interviews Gary Busey, star of Point Break and many other movies.
- Simon Bland interviews directors Davia and Jerry Zucker and star Robert Hays about the making of the disaster film parody Airplane!
Comments on season 3 of Killing Eve:
- Lisa Weidenfeld shares her thoughts on the latest episode of Killing Eve.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the latest episode of Killing Eve.
Comments on Snowpiercer:
- Lucy Mangan calls Snowpiercer Steampunk Law and Order and a trashy treat.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the series premiere as well as episode 2 of Snowpiercer.
- Kayla Kumari Upadhyaya shares her thoughts on the latest episode of Snowpiercer.
- Emma Fraser discusses how children are used as a commodity in Snowpiercer.
Comments on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D:
- Alan Brown shares his thoughts on the season 7 premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Alex McLevy shares his thoughts on the season 7 premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Comments on season 2 of Homecoming:
- Ellen E. Jones shares her thoughts on the season 2 premiere of Homecoming.
- Alex McLevy offers episode by episode reviews of season 2 of Homecoming.
- Paul Levinson shares his thoughts on the season 2 premiere of Homecoming.
- Cameron Scheetz interviews Chris Cooper and Hong Chau, two of the stars of Homecoming.
Comments on trouble behind the scenes of Criminal Minds:
- Eriq Gardner reports that the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing has sued the showrunners and producers of Criminal Minds as well as every television company involved in the series for allowing sexual harrassment perpetrated by the show's director of photography Gregory St. Johns to continue unchecked for years.
- Patrick Gomaz explains how Criminal Minds lost three lead actors over the course of fifteen seasons.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Charlie Jane Anders asks writers to embrace uncertainty.
- Brandon Cornett explains how he uses character diaries to create more believable characters,
- Anthony Johnston explains why he writes mysteries.
- Nerine Dorman explains how they made the Skolion publishing cooperative work.
- Alexandra Alter reports about a copyright dispute between paranormal erotica authors Addison Cain and Zoey Ellis and its roots in the fanfiction world.
- Dorany Pineda explains how booksellers in California react to the partial reopening after the corona virus pandemic.
- Alison Flood reports about the latest developments in the ongoing RWA drama.
- The winner of the 2020 Bony Blithe Light Mystery Award has been announced.
Glyer reports that the RWA has retired the Rita Award in response to
the ongoing racism drama and will replace it with the Vivian Award,
named after RWA co-founder Vivian Stephens.
- The Los Angeles Times interviews Michael Connelly.
- Michael Barson interviews Martin Edwards.
- Paul Gail Benson interviews Jessica Riley Miller.
- E.B. Davis interviews Bernard Schaffer.
- The Real Book Spy interviews Bill Brewer.
- Mary Ann Grossmann interviews Brian and Marcia Freeman.
- Steve Smith interviews Paul Matthews.
- Sandra Mangan reviews Fair Warning by Michael Connelly.
- Mike Parker reviews Coldwater by Tom Pitts.
- Sandie Herron reviews Blood Hollow by William Kent Krueger.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Blood Angel by Bernard Schaffer.
- Janet Webb reviews Bright and Beautiful by Amber Belldene.
- Lesa Holstine reviews The Blues Don't Care by Paul D. Marks.
- Jake Arnott reviews Remain Silent by Susie Steiner.
- Elena Hartwell reviews The Silence by Susan Allott.
- Michael Thomas Barry reviews A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight.
- Michael Thomas Barry reviews The Wife Stalker by Liv Constantine.
- Bethanne Patrick reviews These Women by Ivy Pochoda.
- BOLO Books reviews Little Disasters by Sarah Vaughan.
- Randy Rosenthal reviews Take Me Apart by Sara Sligar.
- Kirkus reviews Street Music by Timothy Hallinan.
- Lesa Holstine reviews Hide Away by Jason Pinter.
- For Winter Nights reviews Double Agent by Tom Bradby.
- Gabino Iglesias reviews Hard Cash Valley by Brian Panovich.
- Publishers Weekly reviews Ghosts of Harvard by Francesca Serritella.
- Robin Agnew reviews The Streel by Mary Logue
- Louis Bravos reviews Snog, Marry, Murder by Zac Colbert.
- Janet Webb reviews Killer Chardonnay by Kate Lansing.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Killer Chardonnay by Kate Lansing and tries a recipe from the book.
- Lesa Holstine reviews A Call for Kelp by Bree Baker.
- Ian Mond reviews Death in Her Hands by Ottessa Moshfegh.
- Mark Rose reviews Hot Lead, Cold Justice by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins.
- The Real Book Spy reviews The Bourne Evolution by Brian Freeman.
- Publishers Weekly reviews Archie Goes Home: A Nero Wolfe Mystery by Robert Goldsborough.
- Runalong the Shelves reviews Sexton Blake and the Great War, introduced by Mark Hodder.
- Thomas Pluck reviews The Darkling Halls of Ivy, edited by Lawrence Block.
- Vicki Weisfeld reviews Heartbreaks and Half-Truths, edited by Judy Penz Sheluk.
- Luke Harding reviews Dark Mirror by Barton Gellman.
- Crossexamining Crime reviews Australian Crime Fiction: A 200 Year History by Stephen Knight.
- Jon L. Breen reviews The Mutual Admiration Society: How Dorothy L. Sayers and Her Oxford Circle Remade the World for Women by Mo Moulton.
- Colin Grant reviews Forced Out: A Detective’s Story of Prejudice and Resilience by Kevin Maxwell.
- Crossexamining Crime revisits the 1943 suspense novel What Dark Secret by Juanita Sheridan and Dorothy Dudley.
- K.A. Laity revisits the 1942 suspense novel Kill Joy and the 1951 suspense novel The Virgin Huntress by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding.
- Alan Cranis revisits the 1953 crime novel A Rage at Sea and the 1956 crime novel A Party Every Night by Fredrick Lorenz a.k.a. Lorenz Heller.
- Paperback Warrior revisits the 1959 thriller Night of Violence a.k.a. The Trapped Ones by Louis Charbonneau.
- Michael Carlson revisits the 1970 Inspector Maigret mystery Maigret and the Wine Merchant by Georges Simenon.
- Paperback Warrior revisits the 1971 crime novel Your Friendly Neighbourhood Death Peddler by Jimmy Sangster.
- Publishers Weekly revisits the 1971 crime novel Your Fiendly Neighbourhood Death Peddler by Jimmy Sangster.
- Paperback Warrior revisits Last Seen Hitchhiking, a 1974 Mike Shayne mystery by Brett Halliday a.k.a. Robert Terrall.
- B.V. Lawson revisits the 1982 mystery Spence at Marlby Manor by Michael Allen.
- Paperback Warrior revisits Baptism, a 1988 novel in the Survivors of Nam war fiction series by Donald E. Zlotnik.
Con and event reports:
- Mike Chomko reports that Pulpfest in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been cancelled due to the corona virus.
- Paul Renfro talks about the disappearance and murder of six-year-old Etan Patz in 1979 and how the case changed New York City forever.
- Casey Sherman and Dave Wedge explain how gangster James "Whitey" Bulger used a winninbg lottery ticket to launder money.
- Charles Veley and Anna Elliott talk about Victorian women's methods of self-defence.
Free online fiction:
- "The Shape of Things" by Jaylee Alde in Shotgun Honey.
- "Ten Point" by Matthew Mercier in Shotgun Honey.
- "Shadows" by Jemi Fraser in Flash Bang Mysteries.
- "A Fitting Sendoff" by Madeleine McDonald in Flash Bang Mysteries.
- "Death in the Dust" by Frank Kozusko in Over My Dead Body
- "Like Those Old Western Movies" by Stephen J. Golds in Punk Noir Magazine.
- "Batman Works From Home" by Kate Sidley in The New Yorker.
- "I Gave You Diamonds, You Gave Me Disease" by Charles Rammelkamp in The Five-Two.
Odds and ends: