8 Tales of Noir audiobook by J. David Core

Release date: March 27, 2020
Subgenre: Noir, Short fiction collection 

About 8 Tales of Noir:

 

8 Tales of Noir is just what the title would lead you to expect, eight stories about the darker side of the human condition. Six short stories lead in to two novella length tales.

•Two desperate men at a standoff on a residential inner-city street...
•A high school prank with unexpected - and deadly - results...
•When you grab the wife of a small-time construction company owner for ransom, make sure he's not from the family...or smarter than you...
•A man intent on collecting a debt…
•A heist gone wrong…
•A prodigal son whose sins follow him home...
•A moment of reckless anger puts a sad-sack on the wrong side of the law and leads to an unexpected comradeship with the forlorn bounty hunter sent to bring him in.
•Finally, a high school dean, a construction worker, and an off-duty cop head out for a night on the prowl. When each agrees to seek out and introduce another of the trio to his ideal woman, only the annoying fly that keeps buzzing the table is privy to all the behind-the-scenes goings on in this quirky black comedy.

A portion of the proceeds will benefit Team Mojo, offering free music lessons to underprivileged kids.  

 

Excerpt:

 

Audio Sample

If you asked a thousand men to tell you how they thought they’d react to a phone call demanding ransom for their wives, you’d get a variety of wild guesses which – if you then kidnapped their wives and called demanding ransom – would be nothing like the reaction you’d actually see. Three days ago, if you asked me how I’d react if some thick tongued weasel called my cell to tell me he wanted $100,000 or I’d never see my wife again, I’d have probably said I’d follow his instructions to the letter and hope for the best. Or I might have said I’d call his bluff and promise to kill him if any harm came to my Natalie. To be honest, I’m not sure which I’d have said. Maybe I’d have said either on every other day depending on my mood. I’m almost positive I wouldn’t have answered with what I actually did.
I was in my truck on my way to the high-rise my construction company was building when a blocked number began blowing up my cell. I reached forward and pressed the answer button on my dash mounted phone. “Hello?” I said. “Tobias Construction.”
“Call your wife’s cell phone,” a strange male voice said in a working class accent tripping on the blending S at the end of wife’s and the C which began cell.
“Who is this?” I demanded, but the call ended with a chirp.
I took the phone off the holder and punched through the menu ’til I found Natalie’s entry. The phone rang once and then I heard it answer on the other end, but nobody spoke. “Natalie?” I finally said after a moment passed with no greeting.
“Hello, Mr. Tobias,” said the same voice I’d just heard.
“Who is this?”
“This is the man you’re going to pay $100,000 to if you ever hope to see your wife alive again.” I don’t know how much time passed before he spoke again. I pulled the car to the side of the road … tried to make sense of what was happening. “Do we understand one another?”
“Don’t hurt her,” I said.   
“Turn around and drive home,” he said. “Don’t call the police or for that matter anybody else. We need for you to understand the gravity of the situation. Do you understand? We need for you to know that we’re serious and that if you make one mistake your wife will not make it out of this alive. Go home and wait for our next call.” The connection broke again, and I sat there with an uncompleted word that began an uncompleted thought still on my lips. A second later I came to my senses, and I cranked my wheel to the left and crossed traffic, jumped a berm, and headed back the way I’d come.
 

AudioFreebies Giveaway

 

Audible | Amazon | Kobo | Google Play | B&N | Apple | Scribd | Chirp | Playster | Beek | eStories  

 

About J. David Core:

With a profound interest in religion, liberal politics and humor, Dave began writing in High School and has not given up on it since. His first professional writing jobs came while attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh when he was hired to create political cartoons for the Pitt News & to write humor pieces for Smile Magazine.

Dave has worked in the newspaper industry as a photographer, in the online publishing industry as a weekly contributor to Streetmail.com, and was a contributing writer to the Buzz On series of informational books and to the Western online anthology, Elbow Creek. Dave’s science fiction novel, Synthetic Blood and Mixed Emotions, is available from writewordsinc.com. Dave currently resides in his childhood home in Toronto, OH with his beautiful girlfriend and his teenage daughter.

He enjoys participating in local community events & visiting with his two adult children and his grandkids. 

Website | Facebook | Twitter

 

Comments