This is Not a Double Date by Grace Risata

Release date: May 1, 2019
Subgenre: Romantic Suspense, Heist

About This is Not a Double Date

 

Andi Cartwright is intrigued when her best friend invites her to a concert and insists it is not a set-up. Yes, she’ll be meeting Cara’s new boyfriend and his cousin, but it was made abundantly clear that this is not a double date.

Much to everyone’s surprise, Roman hits it off with Andi. The normally antisocial man recognizes a kindred spirit, and can’t stay away from her no matter how hard he tries.

After a series of group outings including an escape room, family game night, and a food eating competition, it becomes apparent that all is not what it seems.

Once Roman’s true motive is revealed, will Andi be able to put her feelings aside and move on…or will she simply become another victim caught in a web of lies?

This is not your typical ‘boy-meets-girl’ story. With plot twists around every corner and sinister intentions behind seemingly innocent actions, who can really be trusted?


Excerpt:

 

The ringing of my cell phone instantly startled me, snapping my attention away from the words on the page.
“Hello,” I mumbled, grabbing it and answering without looking at the caller ID.  Not many people had this number, so whoever was calling must be someone important.
“What are you doing tonight?” my best friend asked with a hint of mischief in her voice.  Ever since she started seeing someone new last month, everything had been roses and sunshine.
“I’m currently halfway into this amazing book about Egyptian mummification techniques and how they—”
“That sounds truly fascinating, Andi,” she interrupted, “But how about you start living in the present instead of three thousand years ago?  We have plans tonight.”
I didn’t bother correcting her on the exact timeline of Ancient Egypt.  Been there, done that.  Instead, I furrowed my brow and tried to come up with an excuse to decline whatever invitation she might offer.
“You’re going out with me, Tyler, and his cousin,” Cara explained before I could get a word in edgewise.  “Don’t freak out and think it’s a double date, because that’s definitely not what it is at all.”
“What is it then?”  Was Tyler’s cousin not single?  Was he sixty years old?  Had he just escaped from prison and she knew I probably wouldn’t be attracted to a murderer?  Should I be more concerned with the exact details of the evening instead of obsessing over the fact that it wasn’t a double date?  Possibly.
Cara had never set me up before with any of her boyfriend’s friends.  I didn’t date much in high school, we went to different colleges, and I guess I never really pressed the matter.  While I wasn’t the most outgoing of women, I had enough gentlemanly attention to get me through life thus far.  A string of ordinary men had come and gone, but nothing worth mentioning.
“Tyler seemed insistent that I should invite someone along tonight because he extra tickets to see his buddy's band, but he made it perfectly clear that his cousin wasn’t interested in being set up.  In fact, he repeated himself at least three times when he said that it was just a group thing and not to try and make a love match.  I just figured you’d appreciate the lack of pressure to get along with the guy.  Flirting isn’t your strong suit.”
She was right.  I had no game. 
Before I could think of an excuse as to why I was unable to attend the concert of a band I’d probably never heard of and remove myself from the obligation to make small talk with a random dude, Cara finalized our plans and ended the call.
“Since you have nothing better going on and haven’t flat out refused, I’m taking that as a ‘yes.’  Be at my house at seven.  We’re going out for dinner before the concert.  Bye!”
She hung up and that was the end of that.  I had no other course of action except to stare forlornly at my new Egyptian book and shrug in defeat.
“Instead of a nice night losing myself in a very enthralling mummification journal, I’m going to tempt fate and hang out with two complete strangers.  Lovely.  I get to fade into the background with some dork while Cara and Mr. Sexy Model take selfie after egotistical selfie.”
If only I’d known at the time just how much fate had in store for me.  Instead of a simple outing involving dinner, music, and small talk, the universe had other, more sinister plans.  Who would have thought one seemingly innocent invitation would cause my entire life to spiral out of control?


Amazon


About Grace Risata:

 

Grace is happiest when reading, eating Portillo's hot dogs, and patiently waiting for the inevitable zombie apocalypse.


Website | Facebook | Author Central | Goodreads

Comments