Kousins Kan't Kill (Rutledge Historical Society Cozy Mysteries, Book 3) by Jerri Kay Lincoln

Release date: December 11, 2018
Subgenre: Cozy Mystery

About Kousins Kan't Kill:

 

This is the third book in the Rutledge Historical Society Cozy Mystery Series.

When Lorry Lockharte’s cousin, Kasey, is accused of murder, Lorry feels like once again she must work to find the murderer. Did Kasey do it, or is she truly innocent as she claims? Lorry isn’t so sure about this one. Not only did Kasey have the opportunity and the motive, but she picked up the murder weapon. Will Lorry find the murderer only to discover that it really is Kasey?

 

Excerpt:

 

My cousin Kasey, who worked next door at the Rutledge Koffee Korner Kafe, interrupted my pleasant reverie. The bell on the door jingled as she breezed right through with her bright yellow waitress uniform. She looked serious. Kasey never looked serious. I didn’t think I had ever seen her without a smile on her face.
“Kasey! What’s wrong?” I asked before she even had a chance to get all the way through the door.
“Oh, Lorry. I’m in trouble, so much trouble. Deep trouble.”
Although I doubted it, her expression made me reconsider. Kasey was never in trouble. She had always done the right thing in school, had married her high school sweetheart, and now had two children and a happy marriage.
“Tell me. What’s wrong?”
“When I went to the post office this morning, there was this dead guy on the floor. I know he was dead because there was blood all over, and a gun on the floor beside him that smelled like it had just been fired. I’m sure somebody saw me.” She shook her head. “I’m in so much trouble.”
I stood up and grabbed her hands. “Kasey! Please tell me you didn’t pick up the gun to see if it had been fired.” Nodding my head and raising my eyebrows, I continued, “You just got down on your knees and sniffed it, right? You didn’t touch it, right?”
Tears slid down her cheeks, and she shook her head. “I picked it up to sniff it, because I thought it was important that I should know.”
It was too much to hope for, I knew. Kasey had always been an airhead. Resigned, I shook my head and slumped back into my chair. “Oh, Kasey, I can’t believe you did that. But I’m sure it will be all right. You found some random dead guy in the post office. Why would anyone think you would have any connection to him?” After I paused for a second, I asked, “You didn’t do anything else stupid to the body, did you?” Yes, I asked her that. I’m a calls ’em as I sees ’em kind of person. And what I saw wasn’t good, and I had to know how not good it was.
She nodded without looking at me. “I did.”
“What?” I asked, exasperated. This was too much to believe, even for Kasey.
“I kissed him.”
“Why would you kiss a dead guy? Someone you didn’t even know!” I demanded.
Kasey lifted her head, tears still streaming down, and said, “Because I did know him; I was having an affair with him.”

 

Amazon | Paperback

 

About Jerri Kay Lincoln:

Jerri Kay Lincoln is the author of books across many genres, including children's books, yoga books, romance, nonfiction, suspense, and women's fiction. Her eclectic writing style reflects her eclectic life. She has lived in many places across the United States from California to Maine and places in between. And although most of her working life has been with computers, she has had many other jobs including desk clerk, working at a bank, switchboard operator, and her favorite: working with wild animals. She comes from a family of writers and has been writing since early childhood. Her latest project is a cozy mystery series. She and her dog and her horse live in Southwest Arizona.

Website | Facebook

 

 

Comments