Death over Divorce (Rutledge Historical Society Cozy Mysteries, Book 2) by Jerri Kay Lincoln

Release date: November 11, 2018
Subgenre: Cozy Mystery

About Death over Divorce:

 

This is the second book in the Rutledge Historical Society Cozy Mystery Series.

When a dead man that she knows falls out of Lorry Lockharte’s new car right in front of the sheriff, it doesn’t look good. Still, being hauled into the sheriff’s station isn’t what Lorry had expected. After a lawyer comes out of nowhere to get her released, Lorry struggles to prove her innocence and find the real killer.

 

Excerpt:

 

The three of us walked toward the school, Aiden holding Bingo’s leash, and Aiden and I holding hands. We didn’t have to cross any streets to get to the elementary school which was on the next block over. It was because of that close proximity that Aiden and I had even met, those short months ago. As we approached the two-story red brick building, children and parents swarmed in front of it. And Pamela Reilly, the principal, stood at the top of the steps welcoming in children and parents alike. She wore a light and dark gray checked suit with dark gray shoes to match. Pamela, in her mid-thirties, was always the ultimate professional.
Aiden handed me the leash, reached up for a big hug, and said, “I love you, Mommy!” as he pranced off to play with his friends. My eyes blinked back tears as I watched him. My heart ached with all the love I had for that kid. When I looked up from watching him, I noticed that Pamela was trying to get my attention. It was almost time for school to begin, and the crowd around the stairs had thinned out. I walked up the stairs toward Pamela and smiled.
“So it’s going well with Aiden?” she said and smiled back at me.
“Yes. Can you tell?”
She laughed. “Yes, I don’t think there’s any doubt.”
“Pamela, I can’t thank you enough for what you did.” She had been instrumental in arranging Aiden’s adoption for me. If it hadn’t been for her, I don’t know if it would have happened at all. Of course, my mother’s attorneys had a hand in it, too, but that was a whole ’nother story.
“Oh! It was nothing. I can tell a pair when I see one.” Pamela briefly touched my shoulder, turned around, and disappeared into the school.
Bingo and I walked back down the stairs and trudged slowly back to the Rutledge Historical building. As I walked by my car, I noticed something in it. When I turned my head to see, it was that degenerate ex-husband of mine, Eddie Keeley, sleeping in my car with his head against the window. This was too much. I had to put a stop to it at once.
To be honest, I hadn’t seen him in a couple of months. Shortly after I left him, he came to me begging for money, and I told him to get lost. He finally listened. So what in heaven’s name was he doing sleeping in my car now?
I tapped on the window. He leaned so heavily on the window that I was afraid that if I opened the door, he would fall right out. My tapping didn’t wake him, so I tapped louder. Still no response. If I tapped any harder, it would break my window, and I didn’t want to do that. If I had to choose between breaking my car window or having Eddie fall out and break an arm, I would definitely choose him breaking his arm. The jerk. I loved that car. It was just like my Taurus that Eddie had wrecked when we were married.
With my hand on the door, I was about to open it, when I heard a siren. Sirens are rare in Rutledge. No matter, I had to get the jerk out of my car. I opened the door and Eddie fell out onto the parking lot, just as the sheriff’s car, with its lights flashing and its sirens blazing, pulled up behind my car. The sheriff’s car distracted me, but as I glanced at Eddie lying on the ground, I saw something that I couldn’t see while he was in the car. There was a red hole in his head and blood all over the left side of his shirt. He looked dead.

 

Amazon | Paperback

 

About Jerri Kay Lincoln:

Jerri Kay Lincoln is the author of books across many genres, including children's books, yoga books, romance, nonfiction, suspense, and women's fiction. Her eclectic writing style reflects her eclectic life. She has lived in many places across the United States from California to Maine and places in between. And although most of her working life has been with computers, she has had many other jobs including desk clerk, working at a bank, switchboard operator, and her favorite: working with wild animals. She comes from a family of writers and has been writing since early childhood. Her latest project is a cozy mystery series. She and her dog and her horse live in Southwest Arizona.

Website | Facebook

 

Comments