Interview with Lance Schukies, author of My Criminal Career


The Indie Crime Scene is pleased to interviews Lance Schukies, author of My Criminal Career. This interview was conducted by Dennis Chekalov.

“If you do read up about fire horses, then you have an exact description of me,” you wrote. Would you explain this to us?

When I was going through my divorce, my ex was asked what attracted me to her, and then she was asked what she didn't like about me. She described the same traits to both answers. I found out later that the traits she described are a fire horse.

After my divorce, one of her friends gave me a Chinese Astrology book about the fire horse. In summary it says:

They love action and excitement in their life and will rarely be quiet. They can be quite blunt and straightforward at times in their views. They like to have a certain amount of freedom and independence in their life. They fight and kick against boundaries, disregarding traditions, valuing blind faith over wisdom and cunning over intelligence. 

Horses are full of energy, albeit a bit too much. Both studious and athletic, they are strong believers of chasing after dreams. Rather than wealth and fame, happiness is what motivates them.


Tell us please about your writing debut.

Many times people around me have said that I should write a book about my life. As a fire horse, my life is always full on. After retiring from IT work, I started writing. The first book I wrote is still being edited. The first version got canned by my mother.

I then wrote another book based on friends of mine that are Hells Angels. The book is based on the events around the time one of my friends was killed at Sydney airport. I tried to find an agent but after 150 rejections I self-published it Amazon. To test my marketing I also published my short stories. They are doing better than my novel.
 

How does your IT background help you in your writing?

My experience with lawful inception helps me think of creative ways to tell other sides when I use the first-person narrative. I use the spy equipment to see what other people are doing.

The other part is I can explain technology in plain English. I also make sure that I get technology facts correct. 
 

Please tell us about your book «My Criminal Career».

It's based on the incident when my friend was killed at the Sydney airport. I use a fictional character Dean who has my skills but is a drug dealer. It's about how criminal activities can be profitable, but can very quickly become costly. The old crime doesn't pay troupe.

Dean is also in my other two books, his ex-girlfriend and friends are also included in all three books.

 
What are the most challenging aspects of working on a book based on real events?

The hard part is not being able to invent plots, and you need to keep the story believable. I used news stories from the time of the events and pieced them together in my book. Most of my next book is not based on real events, only the ending is based on an actual event, so it's easier to add plots and scenes.



You write short stories as well; why did you choose this format?

I base my short stories on dreams that I have. I like the freedom of making up worlds that are far from reality. My novels are a bunch of connected short stories, and each chapter could be a short story.

I am leaning towards producing more short stories. They are easier to write and edit.


What authors would you consider to be masters of the short crime story? Why?

I usually read nonfiction, years ago I was always reading university courses type books. I also read a lot of true crime. My favorite true crime is when it is written by a criminal as a biography. I also like prison noir, especially stories written by prisoners.

I tend to like a story rather than a writer. I think writers change over time. 

Notable stories from the top of my head are;
The Murders in the Rue Morgue, Edgar Allan Poe.
Candide, Voltaire.
A long read Papillon, Henri Charrière.


What, in your opinion, is the most important for a short story?
 
Making sure that there is a beginning, middle, and end. Even though it's a short story, you need to have a complete situation. It needs to have the reader wanting to know what is going to happen next.

What is your favorite type of characters in crime fiction — a detective, a criminal, or an ordinary person who happened to be involved in a crime?

Definitely the criminal, I like a character who 'accidentally' turns to crime. So yes the 'ordinary' person who gets sucked into crime, his thoughts, his reactions, his fears.

You would be surprised how many criminals think that they are normal. That either the police are unfair, or they had to make a living somehow.


How does information technology affect society?

Good that it gives us access to a lot of information, bad that there is a lot of wrong information. When I research I look for fiction and non-fiction books, having access to them electronically helps. 

Then I don't like the idea that the government requires companies to retain our data. First, it adds costs to the services we use. Second, that data can be accessed by hackers who can wreak havoc on our lives.

Then there are governments using the data to put people in prison without proper investigations. As a writer, we search for some strange stuff. People have been convicted for their online searches.


What are the main characteristic of the Australian crime genre?

We have Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMG). The OMG has rules and code of conduct. They are behind most of the criminal activities. I know from my dealings with them that they have political contacts. It makes an interested paradigm. Most have wives and families. A lot of the OMG members have legitimate businesses. 


What will be your next book — a novel? A story collection? When can we expect to see it?

I am working on a novel about how China is getting revenge for the opium war, how tables have turned. China is leading the race of supplying illegal drugs to other countries. My fictional character Dean takes on the Chinese organized crime. Hopefully, it will be available in October 2018.

After that, I will be doing a 'Convicted Series' of short stories. I am interviewing prisoners who are convicted of crimes. I will be writing about murders, drug dealers, and pimps. So far most of the prisoners want to stay anonymous. 

About Lance Schukies:
Born in 1966, which makes me a fire horse. I grew up in Australia.

An IT consultant for 27 years, which means I have been and still am unemployable and jobless for all my life. I spent years working on surveillance equipment for large Telecom companies in Australia. I have retired to pursue my passion for writing. I still keep up with the latest technology.

I write crime fiction. My stories cover Government mass surveillance, telecom spying, privacy/data breaches and corruption. I create daily motivational messages and post them on my social media accounts.

If you do read up about fire horses, then you have an exact description of me.
 
 






Comments