Crime Fiction Links of the Week for December 2, 2017
Crime fiction in general:
- Mark Lawson shares his favourite crime novels and thrillers of 2017.
- Marcel Berlin shares his best crime fiction of 2017.
- Crime Fiction Lover shares the five best crime debut novels of 2017.
- Laura Wilson offers a round-up of the best recent crime novels.
- Ellie Bate shares 18 fascinating true crime books everybody should read.
- Richard Auffrey shares his favourite fiction books of 2017, including several crime and mystery novels.
- AudioFile announces the best mystery and supense audiobooks of 2017.
- The New York Times shares its 100 notable books of 2017, including some genre works.
- Jeff Somers shares ten fiendishly clever science fictional locked room mysteries.
- Sarah Hughes profiles A.A. Dhand, author of Streets of Darkness.
- Domenica Bongiovanni reports about the collection of Ian Fleming's manuscripts, papers, and his personal book collection which is kept at the Lilly Library in Bloomington, Indiana.
- Mystery writer Joan Hess died aged 68.
Film and TV:
- David Cranmer reviews the season 6 premiere of Longmire as well as episode 2 and episode 3 of season 6.
- Sarah Hughes shares her thoughts on the latest episode of Peaky Blinders.
- Julia Raeside reviews Shot in the Dark, a documentary about crime reporters and crime scene photographers.
- Emma Vestrheim announces Rig 45, a new European TV thriller set aboard a North Sea oil rig.
- Prolific television actor Rance Howard, father of actor Clint Howard and actor/director Ron Howard, died aged 89.
Comments on Murder on the Orient Express:
- Nicholas Barber reviews Kenneth Branagh's film adaptation of Agath Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.
- Oline H. Cogdill reviews Murder on the Orient Express.
Comments on The Punisher:
- Dave Richards reviews episodes 5 to 7 of The Punisher.
- Renaldo Matadeen praises The Punisher's treatment of Frank Castle's PTSD.
- Amanda Bruce shares fifteen Easter eggs from The Punisher that many viewers will have missed.
- Mark Zambrano shares fifteen superpowers you never knew the Punisher had.
- Kevin Melrose declares that The Punisher should have killed off Frank Castle.
Comments on Blade Runner 2049:
- Julie Muncy discusses Blade Runner 2049's treatment of women and reports about director Denis Villeneuve's own statements about this issue.
- Marykate Jasper also discusses how Denis Villeneuve attempts to defend the portrayal of women in Blade Runner 2049.
- Sam Moore also discusses Denis Villeneuve's statement regarding the treatment of women in Blade Runner 2049.
- Jordan Hoffman interviews Denis Villeneuve, director of Blade Runner 2049.
- Andrew Wright shares his thoughts on Escape, a documentary about Hampton Fancher, who was the screenwriter of the original Blade Runner.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Zak Slayback shares the easiest way to become a better writer.
- Larissa Runkle shares the ten best books for fiction writers.
- Steve Tornello shares his secret for writing sixty pages in two days.
- The Puppet Show shares a list of random setting generators.
- Kristin Centorcelli reviews The Man in the Crooked Hat by Harry Dolan.
- Jen Lucas reviews Give Me The Child by Mel McGrath.
- Hooked From Page One reviews All the Wicked Girls by Chris Whitaker.
- Crime Fiction Lover reviews Holy Island by L.J. Ross.
- Crime Fiction Lover also reviews When Time Runs Out by Elina Hirvonen, translated by Hildi Hawkins.
- Alyson Baker reviews Nothing Bad Happens Here by Nikki Crutchley.
- Janet Webb reviews The Hapsburg Variation by Bill Rapp.
- Marina Sofia reviews Whiteout by Ragnar Jonasson, translated by Quentin Bates.
- John Valeri reviews Tango Down by Chris Knopf.
- Chris Wolak reviews Hunter Killer by David Poyer.
- Sharon Magee reviews Among the Dead by J.R. Becklund.
- Eileen Brady reviews House. Tree. Person by Catriona McPherson.
- Alyson Baker reviews Hot Flush by Rosy Fenwicke.
- Lynne F. Maxwell reviews Full Bodied Murder by Christine E. Blum.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Not a Creature Was Purring by Krista Davis and tries a recipe from the book.
- Crime Fiction Lover reviews Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway by Sara Gran.
- Mark Yon reviews Sherlock Holmes and the Miskatonic Monstrosities by James Lovegrove.
- Joel Cunningham reviews The Inside Out Man by Fred Strydom.
- Michael Patrick Hicks reviews The Murders of Molly Southbourne by Tade Thompson.
- The Yorkshire Post reports about the Hull Noir crime fiction festival in Hull, UK.
- Oline Cogdill reports about the Iceland Noir crime fiction festival in Reykjavik, Iceland, and shares some photos.
- Steve Thomas blames the recent review of ten thousand criminal cases in the UK due to potentially tainted forensic evidence on the privatisation of services.
- Pallab Gosh reports that British judges will be supplied with scientific guides on forensics and a number of other subjects.
- New forensic technology will make it impossible to destroy or erase fingerprint evidence.
- Joanna Schaffhausen discusses the long shadow cast by serial killer Ted Bundy.
Holland and Missy Sullivan report about a poetry writing supercomputer
programmed to crack the cyphers sent by the serial killer known only as
the Zodiac Killer to the San Francisco Chronicle.
Free online fiction:
- "The Discovery" by Jen Lucas.
- "The First Blow" by Tom Andes at Akashic Books.
- "In the Newspaper" by Bruce Harris in Crimson Streets.
Odds and ends: