Crime Fiction Links of the Week for September 23, 2017
Crime fiction in general:
- Barry Forshaw shares a round-up of recent thrillers.
- Brad Abraham shares five books featuring ordinary people solving mysteries.
- Molly Slavin talks about postcolonial crime fiction.
- Curtis Evans shares George Orwell's thoughts on the detective novels of the early 20th century.
- Curtis Evans also shares his thoughts on the 1940 mystery novel Murder at the Liberty Hall by Alan Clutton-Brock.
- Cross Examining Crime revisits the 1940 mystery novel Death at the Dog by Joanna Cannan.
- Cross Examining Crime also shares her thoughts on the 1937 mystery novel Dumb Witness by Agatha Christie.
- Sarah Hilary takes a look at the enduring legacy of Patricia Highsmith.
- John Olsen revisits the Perry Mason novels The Case of the Sun Bather's Diary and The Case of the Nervous Accomplice by Earle Stanley Gardner.
Film and TV:
- Abigail Nussbaum shares her thoughts on Twin Peaks, both the original and the reboot.
- Rob Bricken shares his thoughts on the season four premiere of Gotham.
- Jamie Sugah shares her thoughts on the movie American Assassin.
- Rick Williamson shares his thoughts on Steven Soderbergh's heist movie Logan Lucky.
- Actor Frank Vincent, who played mafiosi and gangsters in various movies and TV shows, had died aged 80.
Comments on Kingsman: The Golden Circle:
- Germain Lussier calls Kingsman: The Golden Circle almost too much fun for its own good.
- Kristy Puchko feels that Kingsman: The Golden Circle is as funny as the original, but not quite as surprising and thrilling.
- Adam Woodward calls Kingsman: The Golden Circle bloated, artistically impotent and bereft of ideas.
Tributes to Harry Dean Stanton:
- Actor Harry Dean Stanton, best remembered for Alien, Twin Peaks, Repo Man, Escape from New York, Red Dawn and Paris, Texas, has died aged 91.
- Anita Gates shares an obituary of Harry Dean Stanton.
- Germain Lussier remembers Harry Dean Stanton.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Alex R. Kahler shares some advice for creating villains.
- Standout Books shares J.K. Rowling's writing tips.
- Font Folly shares some writing advice.
- Natasha Bhattarcharya shares some hacks for dealing with blocked creativity.
- James Prescott explains how perfectionism wrecks our creativity and how to avoid it.
- James Prescott also explains how being vulnerable in your art can set you free.
- Vico Bisotti asks whether writers should write about difficult personal experiences and events.
- Simon Lund Larsen talks about story structure.
- Crissi Langwell shares some tips for writing a novel fast.
- Craig Sisterson reviews The March King's Daughter by Karen Dionne.
- Kristin Centorcelli reviews The Scarred Woman by Jussi Adler-Olsen.
- Kristin Centorcelli also reviews The Cuban Affair by Nelson DeMille.
- Jay Roberts reviews Pendulum by Adam Hamdy.
- Katherine Tomlinson reviews Bluebird, Bluebird by Attica Locke.
- Grab This Book reviews The Ice Shroud by Gordon Ell.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Murderous Mistral by Cay Rademacher.
- Doreen Sheridan also reviews Meddling and Murder by Ovidia Yu.
- Doreen Sheridan also reviews A Disguise to Die For by Diana Vallere and tries out a recipe from the book.
- Angie Barry reviews Death at the Seaside by Frances Brody.
- Robin Agnew reviews Bad Housekeeping by Maia Chance.
- Kevin Burton Smith reviews Hell's Detective by Michael Logan.
- Ardi Alspach reviews The Last Chicago Boss - My Life with the Chicago Outlaws Motorcycle Club by Peter James and Kerried Droban.
- Miss Fisher and the Crypt of Tears, a movie version of the popular Miss Fisher Mysteries TV series, is looking for funding.
- Fireside Fiction has a Hurricane Relief Bookstore, where all profits go to hurricane relief for the victims of Harvey and Irma.
- William Lampkin shares a report about as well as several photos of Pulpfest 2017 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Ron Fortier reports about Pulpfest 2017 and shares several photos.
- Walker Martin also reports about Pulpfest 2017 and shares several photos.
- Thomas Pluck talks about prison fiction and prison reality.
- Gina Tron profiles two men who have dedicated their lives to cracking the case of the disappeared student Maura Murray.
- Douglas Schofield talks about travelling to Sicily to research his novel Killing Pace.
Free online fiction:
- "Hard Kiss Goodbye" by Tony Haynes in Crimson Streets.
- "Smoked" by Brandon Dutton at Akashic Books.
- "A Cry in the Dark" by Scott D. Marmorstein.
Odds and ends:
- Watch a trailer for The Punisher.
- Watch a traile for Tomb Raider.
- Watch a video of M.C. Beaton discussing her latest Agatha Raisin novel The Witches' Tree.