Crime Fiction Links of the Week for July 15, 2017
Crime fiction in general:
- Crime Fiction Lover shares the best Canadian crime novels of all time.
- Crime Squad share their top ten summer crime reads of 2017.
- Mal McEwan shares the five books that got him hooked on crime fiction.
- The Puppet Show revisits Ronald Knox's ten rules for Golden Age detective fiction.
- Rob Hart takes a look at the modern heirs of Lester Dent and other pulp thriller writers.
- Stayton Bonner profiles Don Winslow and discusses his latest thriller The Force.
- The Puppet Show shares seven reasons to read crime short stories.
Film and TV:
- Leslie Gilbert Eham reviews the latest episode of the TV series Grantchester.
- The BBC interviews Jimmy McGovern, writer of Broken.
- Sadaf Ahsan reports that actors Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim will be leaving Hawaii Five-O over unequal pay.
Comments on In the Dark:
- Sam Wollaston calls the new BBC crime drama In the Dark a thriller that stays just on the right side of formulaic.
- Michael Hogan calls In the Dark a taut thriller with a credible protagonist.
- Mark Sanderson declares that In the Dark promises hidden depths.
- Ellie Harrison declares that In the Dark should delve deeper.
- Louisa Mellor offers a spoilerish review of episode one of In the Dark.
- Winnie Agbanlahor collects all the theories regarding the identity of the killer in In the Dark.
- The BBC interviews Danny Brocklehurst, writer, director and producer of the BBC crime drama In the Dark.
Writing, publishing and promotion:
- Christina Hoag explains what inspired her to write her thriller Skin of Tattoos.
- Anna Sabino shares tips how people with a full time job can still manage to write regularly.
- Pablo Defendini shares the lessons he learned in five years of publishing Fireside Fiction.
- Sarah Kuhn talks about writing a sequel.
- Stewart C. Baker shares some tips for writing with a co-author.
- Kameron Hurley discusses how pro-writers deal with pro-criticism.
- Crime Thriller Girl interviews Arne Dahl.
- Crime Fiction Lover interviews Tess Gerritsen.
- Martin Doyle interviews Steph Broadribb.
- The Puppet Show interviews Tana Collins.
- Crime Fiction Lover interviews Lois H. Gresh.
- Lenny Picker interviews David Young.
- Maggie Meyers interviews Adam Hamdy.
- Rob Hawley interviews Lee Child (video).
- Janet Webb reviews City of Masks by S.D. Sykes.
- Philip Rafferty reviews Murder in Saint Germain by Cara Black.
- Northern Crime reviews Sunday Morning Coming Down by Nicci French.
- Kristin Centorcelli reviews My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood.
- Vicki Weisfeld reviews Fateful Mornings by Tom Bouman.
- Raven Crime Reads reviews The Dark Isle by Clare Carson.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Dark Water by Parker Bilal.
- Sharon Magee reviews Dead in the Water by Annelise Ryan.
- Sharon Magee also reviews Conviction by Julia Dahl.
- Doreen Sheridan reviews Seeds of Deception by Sheila Connolly and tries a recipe from the book.
- Ali Karim reports about CrimeFest 2017 in Bristol, UK, and shares some photos.
- Northern Crime reports about a panel on the secrets of crime writing at the Bradford Literature Festival in Bradford, UK, and shares some photos.
- B Movie Noir reports about a retrospective of Robert Michtum movies, including many vintage crime and noir movies, at the Belcourt Theatre in Nashville, Tennessee to celebrate the actor's centennial.
- The difficult task of identifying the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire.
- Forensic dogs may have located the spot where Amelia Earhart died.
- Amy Shojai talks about her research into dog fighting for her thriller Show and Tell.
Free online fiction:
- "Tell Me Something About Your Wife" by Karen Perry in The Irish Times.
- "Memphis" by Robert R. Moss at Akashic Books.
- "White Reaper" by Nolan Knight at Akashic Books.
Odds and ends: