Rose City Renegade (Dent Miller Thrillers, Book 2) by DL Barbur

Release date: June 8, 2018
Subgenre:  Crime thriller, Hardboiled mystery

About Rose City Renegade:

 

Dent Miller used to believe in justice. 
Now all he wants is revenge.

Six months ago, his enemies took everything from him. It was the biggest mistake they ever made.
He’s been looking over his shoulder ever since, waiting for them to come.
He’s not afraid.
He just wants them back in his sights.

If you loved Rose City Free Fall and thought the tension couldn’t get any higher, buckle up, because this book cranks it up to 11.

Rose City Renegade is chock full of gritty action, believable characters, and a story that just won’t quit.

 

Excerpt:

 

I moved forward at a jog. My head throbbed in time to my feet pounding on the pavement. I passed two more of the side passages, with their cameras and call boxes. 
The drops of blood on the concrete in front of me were getting bigger, and closer together. Now they were half the size of my palm and spaced less than a stride apart. I debated whether to slow down. With any luck, Todd would either die or pass out, and I’d find his body here in the tunnel. I could decide then whether to put a bullet in his limp form or not.
I felt the train coming before I heard it. At first, it was a gentle breeze, barely perceptible on my cheeks, then a real wind, enough to ruffle my hair. Probably, I should have heard it sooner, but my ears were ringing thanks to the gunfire and explosions. I finally heard it about the same time as I saw the light. The tunnel here had a very subtle curve to my left and the headlight played on the wall, then came straight at me.
My eyes, adapted to the dim light of the tunnel, shut down in the bright light. I squinted and hugged the wall as the train bore down on me. I knew as long as I stayed close to the wall of the tunnel, there was no way the train could hurt me, but as the bore of the tunnel quickly filled with hundreds of tons of metal going fifty miles an hour, my lizard brain was screaming I was about to get smashed.
The inside of the train was lit up. Most of the passengers didn’t see me, but one woman did a double take as the train flashed past. 
It was terribly loud, which was why I didn’t hear the gunshots. My first clue I was being shot at was when a chunk of concrete flew off the wall and smacked into my shoulder. I thought something had flown off the train, then another one smacked me square in the center of the chest, like a hard punch, and I realized what was going on.
The train was past me, quick as it had come, and I dove off the platform and onto the tracks. I didn’t have far to go. The platform was only at waist level above the tracks. I didn’t exactly stick the landing. I was grateful for the hard plates in my vest as I hit the train track with my back. 
I replayed what had happened. Apparently, Todd had been lying in wait for me, and when I was illuminated by the lights of the train had started shooting.
I fingered the hole in the front of my vest. If I’d been wearing a soft vest, like the one patrol cops wear under their uniforms, I would be hurting. The hard plates I was wearing were rated against rifle fire.
Damn, I thought. That’s twice.

 

Amazon

 

About DL Barbur:

DL Barbur lives in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, but regularly ventures into Portland. He’s been a deck seaman, police officer and hamburger flipper. He enjoys blues guitar and black coffee with an oily sheen on top.

 

Comments